Barnet’s Libraries are in good shape.
- Kept Barnet’s libraries open – neighbouring Brent closed half theirs.
- Established two community libraries.
- Provided all libraries with free wifi.
- Installed RFID technology e.g. self-service kiosks in many of our libraries
- Pledge not to sell the Friern Barnet library building.
- Deliver improvements to library buildings where required and have new buildings planned e.g. Finchley Church End library.
- Examine the potential for libraries to expand their offer and become community spaces.
- Look at community involvement and assist local people to actively support their libraries.
Yet six month on they are planning to decimate the libraries. Where was that in their manifesto? Just like the second phase of outsourcing they are planning, it was silent on the subject. They said that out libraries are in good shape - so why do they want to turn them into large living rooms just 20 ft by 27 ft?
It just shows that you should never believe anything a politician tells you. I was at the East Barnet Library consultation on Friday and the level of mistrust in the Council was off the scale. No one believes a word the Council says any more.